CLINICAL FAMILY THERAPIST MEMBERSHIP AND SUPERVISOR REGISTRATION
Please click HERE for all documents related to Clinical Family Therapist membership application
When forwarding your documentation please note that the current members of the Accreditation Committee are not positioned to know in detail either the suitability of the applicant or the courses that they have completed if living outside of Victoria, so the above processes must be adhered to in order to ensure that any person with either insufficient qualifications, or qualifications that are not aligned to Family Therapeutic work or indeed if there are other concerns generally about a potential applicant then this must dealt with first and foremost by the home State of residence.
- Just a reminder that when you send in support documentation with your application that may include details of client work you must de-identify the family name for confidentiality reasons. We have discovered an increase in examples of specific client work accompanying an application, which in and of itself enhances the understanding of the therapeutic process that has taken place for the assessors however has not been de-identified posing obvious confidentially concerns. Please ensure that this is noted and actioned.
ACCREDITATION COMMITTEE: Margaret Hodge (Convener) and George Giuliani
Clinical Family Therapist Member
Clinical Family Therapist Membership shall be open to any applicant who is a practising family therapist, who has demonstrated competence in the practice of family therapy, and has satisfied the committee of their qualifications for membership in accordance with the criteria for Clinical Family Therapist Membership determined by the Committee of Management.
The practice of a Clinical Family Therapist Member must accord with the AAFT Code of Ethics.
Only a Clinical Family Therapist Member can identify themselves as a “Clinical Family Therapist (AAFT)” or “AAFT Family Therapist”.
Applicants for Clinical Family Therapist Membership of the Australian Association of Family Therapy Inc. (AAFT) should have successfully completed 250 hours of training, 175 of which should have been within a 2 year training program in family therapy that has been accredited with the Association. Once 250 hours of family therapy training have been completed, the trainee is deemed to be a Probationary family therapist and the supervision requirement for membership can begin, once the convenor of the Accreditation Committee is notified.
Applicants must have had at least 500 hours of family therapy practice as the primary therapist. These hours may be counted from the commencement of training. A log must be kept of families seen. This should be endorsed (signed) by a supervisor.
N.B. This should include some work with two generations in the room.
- (i) Applicants must complete a total of 50 hours of supervision, either on a 1:1 basis or within a group of up to 6 supervisees. Supervision can only be accredited after completing 250 hours of family therapy training.
N.B. Group supervision must involve the active participation of all group members.
- (ii) Of the 50 hours required, a minimum of 5 of those need to have been supervised directly, that is, with the supervisor in the room, behind a one-way screen, or via audio or video tape. The applicant’s work that has been supervised directly must have been with at least two different families. This work needs to have taken place following the completion of the required 250 training hours.
- (iii) Any supervisory arrangement needs to be registered with the Accreditation Committee Convenor prior to supervision taking place. Whilst more than one supervisor may provide supervision, applicants need to have registered the name of their Principal Supervisor. This person is expected to oversee that the applicant has completed a family therapy log, and met all the other requirements for Clinical Family Therapist membership.
To review further documents regarding AAFT membership please click here
4. Supervisor and Referee Reports
Applicants must provide reports from both a Principal Supervisor and a second referee, both of whom need to have had Clinical Family Therapist membership of AAFT for at least 5 years or, in exceptional circumstances have been deemed by the Accreditation Committee to have had the equivalent (Click on the links below to download a copy of the Principal Supervisor’s Report or a copy of the Referee’s Report). Please note, a nomination for Clinical Family Therapist membership form must also be completed.
The Principal Supervisor must have had direct experience of a minimum of five hours of the applicant’s family therapy skills, as specified in 4.ii).
5. Individual Assessment
An application for Clinical Family Therapist membership of the Association will be assessed by the Accreditation Committee appointed for this purpose. The committee has the authority to accept or reject any application. Any variation to the above would need to be endorsed by this Committee.
ANNUAL FEE $438.00